Leica M-E | The Unboxing

I’ve been shooting with a Ricoh GXR-M and Leica lens for almost a year.  Prior to this I had heard of Leica but I did not know much more than that about their cameras.  For the past year I’ve really enjoyed shooting with Leica glass and I’ve dreamed about owning a Leica M body.  I didn’t think it was possible and the price tag is prohibitive to many.  A few reasons that has drawn me to the Leica M is its know durability, full frame sensor and compact size.

This past Friday my wife picked me up at the airport upon my return from a week at work flying.  Depending on what time I land at the Asheville Airport, we try to grab a bite to eat at one of our local restaurants in Brevard. This gives a chance to catch up before getting home.

Last Friday was a lot different than previous times as our conversation centered upon my photography and where I’d like to go with my hobby.  This led our conversation to my desire to acquire a Leica M, specifically the Leica M-E.  She agreed with my decision and today I received my first Leica camera, the Leica M-E and the video below is the “unboxing”!

1. Hi Duane,

What a start to the New Year! I wish you all the best with your new camera and look forward to more of your great photos.

All the best,

James

Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 12:41

• Thanks much James. 2013 brings new refreshing challenges. Hopefully I can half way meet the Leica standard set by so many others.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 12:45

2. I enjoyed watching this – thanks! I’ve just ordered an M-E myself and it should arrive in the next couple of days!
    Regards,
    Patrick

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 17:03

• That’s awesome Patrick. Keep me posted on what you think and I’d be interested in what lenses you’ll be shooting!

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 21:33

3. It just arrived today, Duane! I’ve been playing round with it, trying to get the hang of rangefinder focusing (it’s my first rangefinder camera – I’m a relative newbie). I’ve got a 50mm summicron and a 50mm nokton 1.5 for the moment. Funds are now somewhat depleted, but I may look for a second-hand 90mm Elmarit on ebay…
    I really like many of your photos on this blog!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 21:48

• Way cool Patrick!!!! Thank you for the nice complement! One of the things that has helped me with my manual focusing is before bringing the camera to my eye I know what I want in focus. I’m still practicing this but, what I try to do is a quick estimate as to how far away that point is. I then quickly pre-focus the lens before bringing it to my eye. Then once at my eye its a small adjustment to fine tune the focus. I spend a bit of time while I’m traveling in my hotel room and stuff practicing.

I really do recommend reading through Thorsten Overgaard’s Longterm Leica M9 running review for some great pointers. http://www.overgaard.dk/leica-M9-digital-rangefinder-camera.html

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 21:57

• Thanks for the pointers, Duane!
        Yes, I’ve been reading through Thorsten Overgaard’s website and his m9 review in particular. I love what he does with the m9.
        I will try the pre-focusing as you suggested. I’ve been a bit apprehensive about rangefinder focusing – from what I’ve read, some people can find it frustrating. I can see much practice is necessary, but I’ve certainly enjoyed playing around today… Ive been heartened to see that it’s not impossible at all with a bit of care to get good focus with the nokton 1.5 wide open..

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 22:11

4. Hi Duane,
    I decided to finally get a digital Leica, however I can’t decide between the M (typ240) or the M9(P)/M-E.
    It’s a dificult decision, specially with some influent people (e.g. Peter) with a clear preference for the M9 and the price difference between the 2 models.

Are you still satisfied with your M-E? Do you have plans to replace it for the M (typ240)?

Regards,

Leonardo

Friday, April 4, 2014 at 10:54

• Hi Leonardo. I’m still very happy with my M-E. Having said that I think I’d be happy with the new M too. When I bought my M-E over a year ago the new M was not available.

If you live near a store where you can handle both I would take your own SD card and take photos with both with the same lens. Then see how you like the images from both.

The primary advantage I see, for me, between the two is the new M’s higher ISO ability. But there is something about the way the M9/M-E CCD draws.

If money was no object I wouldn’t mind shooting with the Monochrom!

Friday, April 4, 2014 at 11:01

• The monochrome is a unique camera and I would love to have one, I think this camera is perfect if you already own a Leica M (digital).
        The new M seems to be a flexible choice when compared to the other available bodies, if I have to make this investment once, this may be a good choice despite of the higher price.

I will follow your advice and test both cameras before my decision. However, something tells me that the new M will be my next Leica 🙂

Friday, April 4, 2014 at 16:16

• Can’t argue with your decision one way or other. If this is your first rangefinder don’t feel frustrated with focusing system. It took me a month or so to get comfortable and more time than that to be confident in my results!

Friday, April 4, 2014 at 16:27

5. Street Photography Blog

Great !!! Your excitement is clear to see in the video, building all the time.

I know exactly how you feel as I have an M-E arriving (hopefully) tomorrow.

It will be the 8th Leica I’ve owned, both film and digital. The M-E and M9 has always been the holy grail for me and a dream I can now finally realise (and afford).

Cheers,