Raven Cliff Falls Trail Loop – 09.15.2014

I went hiking with my two sons yesterday and we had a great time walking the Raven Cliff Falls Trail Loop.

1. dg

Duane, how did you process the shot of your sons with their backs towards you (the one in portrait orientation)? I love the tones and I haven’t gotten such from my M-E yet. If you use Lightroom, would you share your secret sauce? Thanks!

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at 01:43

• Morning dg. I’m not at my computer with Lightroom as I’m on my iPhone replying but I don’t normally use any plugins as in this case too. First of all the conditions were perfect for these tones. We’re at elevation and technically in the clouds not fog so to speak. The camera’s meter is going to underexpose by at least a stop since it is so grey. I’m also shooting wide open and focused on my sons. Did I say I love this lens yet? At f1.4 the out of focus areas help in revving out the tones I believe. I also made nothing was clipped in the histogram in the highlights. Plus I have my camera configured shooting RAW+JPG where the JPG is set to B&W. That way I see B&W when I review the image on the camera’s LCD. Later I will do a screen capture of my settings and email you if you’d like.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at 06:58

• Thanks, Duane. If it’s not too much trouble, yes, it’d be terrific to see your LR settings.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at 09:41

• Streetshooter

Real nice Duane……

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at 10:12

• Thanks Don. Anytime I can have the boys away from all the distractions that get in the way is special in today’s fast lane.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 at 17:59

2. wonderful black and white images.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at 02:54

3. Dan

Very nice work, and what a great time with the sons. Reminds me of times when mine were younger.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 at 08:12

• Thanks Dan sorry it took me this long to respond. It was a great morning for a walk.

Sunday, September 21, 2014 at 17:33

4. Pingback: INSPIRED EYE | Weekly Photography Digest (week 38)

5. Fantastic images, full of atmosphere and mystery, and great processing too!

Friday, September 26, 2014 at 21:58

• Thank you Gonzalo. The couple hours I had a chance to walk with my sons was special. The atmosphere was perfect for that time together!

Saturday, September 27, 2014 at 22:52